Our practice educators are a big part of what makes UBC Pharm Sci such a great pharmacy program. We applaud all of you for acknowledging the shared commitment and responsibility of educating the pharmacists of tomorrow. Your expertise and commitment to the profession are essential in preparing UBC pharmacy students for their entry to practice. The Pharm Sci program and its students deeply appreciate the positive and long-lasting impact your mentoring offers in facilitating the personal and professional growth of new pharmacists. And we want to recognize you for it.
Practice Educator Benefits
As a practice educator, you are providing a tremendous service to our students, not to mention patients across BC. And to show our thanks, we're offering you a few perks in return. All you need is one simple card.
UBC Alumni Card
Are you an alumnus of UBC? If you are, you automatically qualify for a free UBC Alumni card, which connects you with terrific discounts both on and off campus (see below). Get yours here.
Not an alumnus? No problem. Just make a stop on campus next time you're in town and we'll set you up with your...
If you're not UBC alumni, you can still get the same great deals and perks through your UBCcard. This is UBC's official identification document. You'll need to register for the UBCcard in person.
Once you've got your card, you will register for your Campus Wide Login (CWL). This is the key to the city! The CWL is UBC's single sign-on authentication system, designed to give you access to UBC's online applications. One username, one password.
Now you're all set. You can use your UBCcard for UBC Library services, UBC Bookstore and campus partners' e-Money purchases, Food Services dining conveniences and discounts, and reduced or free admission to certain events and attractions.
Have We Got Perks for You!
Your UBCcard and CWL—or simply your UBC Alumni Card—opens the door to these terrific perks:
- UBC Library—As a practice educator, you are on board as a clinical faculty member at UBC. Your CWL gives you full access to all materials and services at the UBC Library. This includes remote access to medical journals, access to library research workshops, online guides and tutorials on a variety of topics, and assistance from the staff and reference librarians. If you don't want to register for CWL, we can give you a UBC Library card instead. For instructions on how to obtain your UBC Library card, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, phone number and practice location.
- Travel Discounts—Need a little getaway? We offer government, university and corporate rates for Canadian hotels and vehicle rentals, not to mention ZipCar, Park N' Fly and both short-term and long-term parking at YVR.
- UBC Bookstore Discounts—Your UBCcard gets you discounts on software and selected tech items at the UBC Bookstore.
- Apple—Saving money on Apple products? You know it. Visit the Academic Store online for discounts on hardware and software.
- Retail Goods & Services—Many companies offer government and educational discounts. Just ask, and present your UBCcard.
- Vancouver Attractions—As valued clinical faculty, you will enjoy free admission to the UBC Museum of Anthropology and reduced admission to the UBC Botanical Garden, as well as to events at the Frederic Wood Theatre and the TELUS Studio Theatre. That's not all, though: you'll save on other attractions, as well as numerous UBC-affiliated fitness and recreation programs.
Pharmacy Practice Educator of the Year Award
To honour our dedicated and skilled clinical faculty, we are also proud to offer the Practice Educator of the Year Award. It's just one way to recognize our practice educators at the end of each school year for their contribution to our students' education.
The Pharmacy Practice Educator of the Year Award is presented annually to one practice educator in each of the four practicum courses in pharmacy. This award recognizes outstanding and exemplary pharmacists who have distinguished themselves as educators in the Entry-to-Practice program.
The criteria for the award include:
- outstanding dedication to UBC Pharm Sci's Entry-to-Practice programs by regular and ongoing willingness to precept learners throughout the year;
- demonstrable expertise as a practice educator (e.g. working with learners to set realistic goals; being organized and accessible to learners; monitoring progress and providing ongoing constructive feedback; understanding how to resolve conflicts with learners; stimulating active independent learning as well as guided learning with constructive feedback; and showing interest and enthusiasm for teaching); and
- embodying an inspiring and passionate approach to the pharmacy profession (e.g. demonstrating professionalism, leadership, and management skills; staying active in the profession and in professional organizations; and being an excellent communicator and a positive role model with well-developed interpersonal skills).
Our students nominate pharmacists for the Pharmacy Practice Educator of the Year Award by submitting a written essay of their practice educator experience, which includes specific examples of teaching excellence. The recipient is selected by the Office of Experiential Education faculty and receives an award plaque in recognition of their practice excellence. You can find the practice educator nomination form here.
Completed applications must be submitted to the OEE by:
- May 15 for both the Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience Award – Institutional (Phar 489), and the Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience Award – Community (Phar 479).
- August 15 for the Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience Award I (Phar 369), and the Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience Award II (Phar 469).